This silk tie quilt was a finished top and I spent yesterday quilting it onto a soft fleece backing. It was pin-basted in place then the top and backing (no batting) stitched with a walking foot. (Grey on the top, black in the bobbin)
I trimmed the fleece to 5/8" from the edge then flipped it over the edge and stitched the raw edge down.
Because of the stretch in the fleece and using cotton thread the top did not stay flat at all. If you click to enlarge the first picture, you can really see how the pinwheels bunched up. I actually quite like that. It picks up more of the sheen of the silk. And I'll just ignore the wobbliness of the edges.
Please don't faint. I actually got another project finished.
In case you forgot (or weren't around), this quilt was started in January 2011 as the result of reading blogs about the rising price of cotton fabric and suggestions to upcycle old shirts into quilts. I paid $1.25 for a queen sized cotton sheet and the 2 plaid shirts were part of an "all you can fit in a bag for $1" deal at another thrift store. It's a gift for my brother Dan.
This morning as I was finishing the straight line stitching using the walking foot, I came to realize why this project was a UFO. I lose interest when I get to the BORING part of the project. Utility quilting is flat out boring.
After a month of evenings sewing half-square triangles, I finally had a stack of about 350 sewn, pressed and trimmed by Sunday afternoon.
Here's my long awaited Citrus Squares quilt. The inspiration for this layout was a quilt that I saw on Jackie's Blog: Canton Village Quilt Works. (Hurray! I finally remembered who's blog I saw it on) The inspiration was smaller, and I'm quite proud of myself for not over-thinking things and I just randomly added on to the original pattern with small, med, or larger squares.
I have 4 rows stitched together and hope to have the top finished by the weekend.
I had a long list of quilty things that I wanted to do on my day off, of which I accomplished very little.
I did trim up a large stack of HST for the Citrus quilt. I'm trying to clear out some old fabrics and decided that I really enjoyed the last 2 projects that I made with yellow. And I found some orange that didn't really go with anything. And this fabric that has fruit names written all over it.
I Saw the Knee Socks block at Oh, Fransson! and decided it was the perfect way to use up the leftover strips from the QOV kits. The measurements are kind-of what the directions called for, and I have great hope that it will at least have the same vibe, if not the same look.
And much to the delight of my younger daughter, I sewed the amazing llama panel into a new drawstring/backpack bag.
The March FMQ Tutorial is by Ann Fahl and has a ton of info on FMQ and a couple of doodley fills. She offered a few variations and after drawing them on paper, decided that only 2 interested me enough to commit to fabric.
She suggested a stippling variation that alternates what she refers to as "loop & twist". I would have called it loop & villi. Well, at least my version of it looks like that. My paper doodle had softer waves b/w the loops, but when I pulled out practice quilt #1, I decided to try the fill on a narrow green strip so I could use some Wonder Fill Egyptian Cotton, variegated green that I had in the thread bin. I'm not loving it. My thought at this point is that it's just awkward for a narrow strip fill.
So I moved to a different section and tried the spiral fill/flower variation. I have always liked double loops that I refer to as "olives". This idea added a couple more rounds then petals. What I LOVE about this is that instead of trying to exactly repeat the spiral, or echo it...you just take off after the swirl is done to another area.
I really had fun with this. I made fat squat petals, and long skinny ones, big flowers, little ones, partial flowers. It was really fun. I like the variety. I will do this again.
One of the things that I love about Fresh Sewing Day at Lily's Quilts, is that it gives me a chance to reflect on the month of February and realize that I actually did get things accomplished.
My FMQ is getting better with feathers that look kind-of like they are supposed to. I realized after making this that I don't actually LIKE feathers in quilting, which is probably why mine never look amazing.
My FMQ confidence is growing, and I'm really glad I decided on these practice panels that are designed to be a whole quilt later. This piece, for example, I think I could have picked a better background fill, but I still love the leaf. This leaf deserves better than becoming a pot holder!
I finished piecing the silk tie quilt, which removes 2 things from my quilting bucket list - upcycling and working with silk. I learned a lot from this project, most importantly that I'm "totally over" the need to quilt with silk and I can move on.
And I am finally nearing the end of the hand quilting for the Double Wedding Ring. This has taken 96 episodes of Cake Boss, and I've moved on to watching LA Ink. Unfortunately the tatoos give me ideas for quilting designs so I tend to get distracted.
For March, I plan to continue to practice FMQ, finish the hand quilting, finish the Executive Woobie and $2.25 Plus Tax, finish piecing the Citrus HST top. I also want to work on something to use up the blue scraps for another QOV quilt, and I need to get back to some applique on my Hearts Desire.