Friday, November 30, 2012
It had been a great plan. Scarlet and Gold are the colors for the US Marine Corps. By keeping the ring sections solid red (compared with a traditional Double Wedding Ring which has pieced ring sections) I thought it would look more contemporary, perfect for a young couple.
1) I could abandon the project since the event was past.
2) I could finish it and find a different recipient.
I spent Thanksgiving Weekend making "melons" to finish this quilt. It is a throw size quilt - about 58" x 68".
Now I have a fantastic flimsy that I want to use as a fundraiser quilt. The groups that I have in mind support injured/killed police & fire fighters or missing soldiers.
So quilters....how much would you pay for a chance at this quilt?
Sunday, November 25, 2012
I do have more pictures of this project on Celebrate Hand Quilting where I was soliciting suggestions for how to approach the background fill. Stop on over there if you aren't already a follower.
Saturday, November 24, 2012
In contrast, the 2 lines of stitching on the left are using the same Aurifil thread, but a Piecemakers #12 needle. Not only are they more consistent in size, but the stitch count dropped from 14 to 16 stitches per inch. (In sections without the applique, stiches with the 12 needles vary 16-18/inch)
I know it seems a bit OCD...but even stitches are worth a change in needle for me.
Tuesday, November 13, 2012
Normally I have a stash of needles since I'm forever losing them.
Ester's Heart's Desire. Actually, I think it's all from the same outer border. The big flowers were in the center of each side and the 3 petaled flowers were draped over the basket handle. Fill is just straight(ish) lines 3/8" apart.
I'm afraid that the correct answer is "very, very close".
Sunday, November 4, 2012
I posted about this technique on Celebrate Hand Quilting a couple weeks ago.
Unfortunately, I had used a new marking pencil that mostly brushed off during the FMQ process.
All things considered, it's turning out pretty well. And I'm starting to actually enjoy the fact that my floral motif is a little organic and not as symmetrical as it was planned.
This final photo really illustrates bad basting turning into nice quilting.