Saturday, February 20, 2016
Sometimes procrastination does actually pay off. I started this quilt inspired by Ojibwe beadwork in 2005. It got set aside and finished up the applique in 2010/2011. I started machine quilting it last week. Super happy with the contrasting thread additions. Just now have the skills developed to pull off the concept.
I posted this photo on my FB page earlier today and felt validated when a non-quilter replied with "You have mad-bad quilting skills"
Which is funny because I spent the morning staring at this quilt laid out on the living room floor and thinking "That turned out well if you don't look closely. What next?"
While watching Ming cook on PBS, I looked over my reference photos of bead work and free-hand drew some flowers and swirlies onto the quilt with a whit colored pencil.
I'm in the process of adding the veining on all the big leaves and then maybe some more freehand fill flowers.
Tuesday, February 9, 2016
This quilt was originally designed as a wedding quilt inspired by Ojibwe bead work, but done in the favorite colors of the bride to be. There are several reasons this got set aside. Which in a way is good as my FMQ is finally good enough to make this look the way I had imagined.
I bought black batting for this quilt about 7 or 8 years ago when I started it. I sure wish I would have thought to use it for the last black quilt that I made. No tufting of the batting, or if it is, you can't see it.
Hoping to do the quilting detail on the applique over the next several evenings, but will need to wait for a bright sunny day to attempt anything on the black background. I keep changing my mind if I'm going to use black or red thread for the fill.
Sunday, February 7, 2016
So, this is a rather long post as it was quite a journey of quilt learning for me.
I added the green floral which was a dress that I made, the apple green from the Big Ass Cat, and the yellow plaid which was a second-hand sheet I used for the back of a quilt.
I arranged the HST blocks on a piece of flannel.
I started auditioning scraps.
And I found some orphan blocks and a Spoonflower sample fabric.
Improv piecing can be fun, but doesn't always have the outcome I'd imagined.
I wanted it to be larger, but 60" x 74" makes a decent lap quilt.
square flower by Lori Kennedy. After the second design of hers that I randomly picked from a google search of designs, I started following her at The Inbox Jaunt.
5 spools gone and 2 more skinnyfied.
(There are still 5 spools in the stash in other colors so there will be more complaining on this topic. )
A zen moment when I actually felt like I was a really good machine quilter.
My original goal list post