Monday, February 20, 2017

Feathers on a Cat

I couldn't resist adding feathers to the cat.  Now that I"ve figured out how to do them, they are a quick fill, and I was aiming for these circles to be spots.
For the lower 2 sections, I followed the print, filling in with leaves and swirls in the blank spots.   The upper section has nice flow with the paisley fill.
To add some textural variation, I went for some brick work to have a more linear element.

I think I've figured out my plan for the cat face, a mix of hand and machine quilting.
But I may need a couple weeks to sort out some of the variations I've considered for the  background quilting.

Monday, February 13, 2017

Big Cat Quilting

It was a challenge finding a place to lay out this 108x80 cat in order to sandwich it.  

I have the teal sections ditched using the walking foot, and now I'm moving on to FMQ.
For these first 2 sections, I'm trying to follow the printed pattern.  For the section above, that does mean adding some extra bits to fill the blank spaces.  This will likely take some time as the spaces are pretty big.  And I'm still deciding on some fills to add more textural interest.