Sunday, December 5, 2021

Sewing for me

 
My favorite hobby is buying fabric and patterns for clothing I will never sew for myself.  

My last attempt was 8 years ago.  But my post-menopause body is a different weight and shape from when I had that figured out.  So I'm starting from scratch again. 

I started with this super basic pattern.  Fitted and has a side zip. 

While looking for muslin fabric, I found this shirt, but decided I'd rather wait and make something really wearable from this shirt.  I thought that using the finished hem and button placket would be worth while.   It's also a very nice Brooks Brothers cotton that I got at a thrift store for a couple dollars.

I muslined the pattern with an old mauve bed sheet.  After a full day, I got it looking this close to working like it would fit me. There were still issues with the neckline and hip width.  But I naively thought that would be easy to adjust. 
I was feeling super clever at re-using the buttons so I wouldn't have to use the side zip.  But there wasn't enough fabric...so I had to piece in an arm section for the front bodice.  It worked really well. 



But the front neckline was all kinds of messed up.   I spent hours swearing, tucking, rolling and tacking down. 

After a half dozen extra darts and tucks, I have a shirt that's actually wearable.  And unlike earlier versions, doesn't look like I'm wearing a tent.

Final fix was replacing the functional button with an oversized fixed one. 
Extra thanks to my Buddy Beve who is my sewing spirit animal.  I can send her pictures of my failures and she alternates b/w advice and cheerleeding.  

No comments: