Tuesday, June 23, 2020

Betty Jeanne

 I started a quilt for my mom in 2010, when I was also working on the USA quilt using 6" squares when the Farmer's Daughter quilt was all the rage. 
 While on a 6666 mile road trip with mom and my 2 teen aged daughters, we collected fabrics and brainstormed blocks to represent each year of her life (She was 80 at the time.)  The project fizzled out because the blue fabric she picked was an odd shade of blue that I couldn't match with any other blue over the next couple years.  Plus I'd lost momentum & desire for that much piecing.

  The morning of her 91st birthday, I looked at the collection of the 9 completed blocks on my design wall and decided to make a pillow to take to her in 2 days when I was attending a family wedding.  I was informed that she did not want or need a pillow.   I spent 2 hours looking for the file of blocks and list of what we were going to include.  No luck. 

Spent the next day and a half making blocks I could figure out mathematically and/or trim to size.  Then some mad machine quilting.   I failed to take any pictures of the finished quilt as I was up until midnight waiting for it to dry so I could bind it.  Still wasn't dry when I went to bed, so up at 5am to finish so we could be on the road by 7am.
Good news:  she liked it.  And I have another project of my eternal UFO list.

2 comments:

Julie Fukuda said...

I think blues, like purples, are hard to match up. You came up with a good solution and it all worked out. Congratulations on a fine finish.

Angie in SoCal said...

Congrats on your finish. Were the flowers some of the quilt motifs you used. If so, they are delightful.