Monday, June 29, 2020

Monet UFO

10  or 11 years ago, I started a quilt based on Monet's "Woman with Parasol".  I bought a cross stitch pattern where someone else had worked out the pattern.  I proceeded to buy fabric and sort out the details over the course of the next  year.  2 years later I was in DC and took this selfie at a museum.  My version is exponentially larger. 


I bought an embroidery floss color scale and used it to pick fabrics.

I used and embroidery floss organizer to keep the 1.5" blocks organized
My last post on this project was on May 30, 2010 when I got the body portion of the lady sewn up.

 What I pulled out of the project box this morning was a pile of panels with 1.5" squares fused to a grid, ready for sewing.  It took me an hour to sort out where each piece went. 
 I was able to sort out the bottom left section which is the boy and the left side of the lady's skirt.  In this view, I've sewn the horizontal, but not yet the vertical seams. (photo is tipped 45 degrees off)
The process involves fusing the 1.5" squares onto a fusible web (marked with the grid).   Then a strip of mosaics are sewn in one direction with 1/4" seam.  In this case, I did all horizontal rows

Unfortunately, to avoid bulk at the seams, the intersections all have to be snipped.  The panel I worked on today involved 1200 snips which took 45 minutes. 

So at the end of the day, I have about 1/2 of the vertical seams done on this panel.  And while some of the background pieces don't have to be cut into individual squares, the final quilt top will have the equivalent of 75,000 One Inch Squares.     (Maybe why I lost enthusiasm for the project?)


1 comment:

Angie in SoCal said...

Wow that is some project, but it will be a stunner when you're finished.