Thursday, December 31, 2020

Biggs Quilt Planning

 I got the Biggs squares trimmed to size and sewn together.  I'll be moving on to the borders next, but I've been trying to decide on how I'm going to quilt this.  Lin from the FaceBook group for this quilt had posted what her longarmer (Joy Voltenburg of Custom Quilts of Joy) had done which featured these annoying corner flowers which I have hated since the beginning.  She used a square on point to connect these and create a secondary squares pattern that I thought was perfect for blending the mixed squares on alternate background fabrics. 
I traced several of the intersections to get an average size that would work, since the buds don't all fall perfectly symmetrical in each of those 16 intersections. (Which is another reason I hated those buds)

I had already decided to do a combination of machine and hand quilting. 
While I've been successful getting nice texture, as shown in this picture from my quilt "Loud", I felt the quilting would be too dense on the small scale needed for this applique. 
I have always been happy with the outcome of this style of flower and plan to use a variation of it for the center of the joining squares. 

To add more texture, I either need some micro quilting, like I did on the following 2 pillows.



Or play with the texture that comes with hand quilting and varying the line width like I did on the shells. 


This of course made me think about how much I liked the sashiko inspired background diamonds that I did on Hearts Infatuation using fuchsia thread. 

And while I was considering past successes in microquilting, I thought about this dragonfly.  So now I am considering adding butterflies, dragonflies and bumble bees into some of the "blank spots" linked together with the shashiko fill. 

Clearly, I have created an extra project for myself.  I'm feeling the need to do a test "block" to see which of the variations that I've considered that I like best. 

No comments: