Saturday, December 19, 2020

Princess

The topic of dress-up clothes came up as a Christmas gift for my 3 year old granddaughter.  A picture was sent of a fur cape.  After a rummage of my stash, and a raid of a friend's, I was able to pull together this set with purchase of very little.  

The photo sent was a bit more "Frozen" inspired.  But I had tons of this pin-tuck satin.  So Little Red Riding Hood it is.   
They were once curtains when a teenager in my house was in her goth stage.  A couple yards of furry black minky and a frog closure was the main expense of this project.

Part 2 was this simple reversible brocade skirt.  The fabric was bought by Kim at a Bridal Store clearance, but housed by Beve.  Beve also supplied the bias trim for the hem.  The elastic and the grosgrain ribbon to make the skirt adjustable sizing, was from my stash.  
Next up was the satin dress.  I hate sewing satin.  I designed this dress from 3 different patterns. I wanted something that a little person could put on/take off without assistance.  Also, it needed to be able to be layered with other pieces.  And need to be adjustable sizing, either to grow with the person, or to be able to play dress up with other people.  Satin from Kim.  Broach from Beve.  Only expense was the gold trim. 
I had magnetic snaps from a purse project in my stash.  There are 2 snaps, on the inner and outer side of the wrap. Because of that, the inner snap can be moved to the outer position, increasing the waist line by 7 inches !

Beve has been working on princess dresses to donate for a fund raiser, so I made an extra of the satin dress as a way to "pay it forward" for the fabric donations. 

I had one more piece planned out of sequin material.  But due to satin trauma, I'll save that project for a birthday gift. 

No comments: