Sunday, May 3, 2020

Furlough Day 16 Covid Flimsy

It was a very productive day.  I finished the insulin/ CGM block that was nearly done yesterday.  I did all the borders around the individual components of the Covid quilt and got it to the final flimsy stage.   Added a couple more TP rolls, a skinny one and a totally empty. 

The goal was to have the center represent the really dark, hard and frightening experiences Chris had battling Corona Virus.  But including the one positive, that she was in the first wave of recovering and being able to donate plasma for an experimental treatment.  The header/ footer represents what most of the rest of us were experiencing at the same time.

The applique uses multiple techniques including both my favorite: needle turn applique, and my least favorite: fusible web.  The fusible will have some sections of thread painting as part of the machine quilting.  The masks will remain 3-D.  I came up with an idea for an extra surprise here...but you won't know what it is until Chris receives the quilt.

I will be FMQ on my humble Singer.  I will be adding more symbols in the quilting including the evil nasal swabs, and some covid spheres. 

The process of making an art quilt always make it look like a fabric store barfed there.  Fabrics are auditioned, tossed aside.  More found.   I spent a couple hours putting this back away, and reorganizing the small yardage fabrics for future applique.  It was reorganizing a fabric library but changing the Dewey Decimal system. "Seashell" fabrics are now tones of tan.  My "Southwest" fabrics shifted to shades of brown & rust. 

I also sorted the scraps into a dozen potential mini-quilts.  Subject for another post. 


No comments: