Monday, May 4, 2020

Furlough Day 17 Quilt Prep and Bright Shiny Objects

 Yesterday after getting the flimsy done, I just couldn't bear to go on to my least favorite step of sandwiching the quilt.  So I sorted a BIG pile of scraps and double checked with my NICU nurse friend to be sure they could still use mini quilts.
 By end of morning today, the yellow leftovers, combined with some random reds that have some yellows, looked like this.  It's kind of ugly, but remember that only the center third shows when it's wrapped around a bassinet mattress. I'll quilt it so it looks prettier with texture.
 This one is much more visually pleasing.  The Tula Pink Unicorns were for a dress for my granddaughter a year ago.  I am not entirely sure where the lighter pink scraps came from.  I remember the yardage but not the project that resulted in bits leftover.   The flimsys are 30" wide x 36 long to allow plenty of extra for wrapping without being fussy and annoying for the nurses.
 The 4 I did previously were quilted, but a request was just simple flannel backing and no batting, since thick quilts don't wrap well.  I didn't have any then, but found that Joanne's had Flannel for $4/yard today.  Plus 20% off total order coupon.  Ordered on line for curb side pick up.  My past 2 pick up experiences had some difficulties, but today was sublime.  I should have set a timer, but my guess is less than 10 min from when I parked until I pulled away.
 I did complete the hateful sandwiching process.  Including this background and the process of fairly successfully and fairly easily matching the repeat for the backing.  I used the walking foot to quilt the outlines of each section of the Covid Quilt. De-linted the machine and on to FMQ tomorrow.

AND I found out there's a Quarantine Quilt category at Houston Quilt show this year.  So I'm gunning to finish asap.  Deadline is June.  And the recipient of this quilt lives in Houston.  So I can send it to her when finished and she can walk it in if accepted.
 Meanwhile, I am still obsessed with Sourdough English Muffins.  This is batch 9 and I think I have it figured out.  Bottom left is side 1 and others side 2. 
My goal is to make unbelievably fluffy English Muffins with 100% sourdough (no additional leaveners) with a super sour flavor.  This is my supermodel with big, lovely holes for the butter to drip into.  Made with a Bahrain sourdough, which has amazing flavor, but slow rise. 

No comments: