Wednesday, January 28, 2015

In a Pickle

I had great hopes of showing a "ta-da" post as I had spent much of the weekend in the sewing room making these wedges for the Pickle Dish quilt.  And then I started counting.  53 seems like a strange number.  Particularly where they are printed 2 to a page, and I need a multiple of 4.  After some searching, I found the rest of the stack of paper piecing templates.  The missing wedge is probably deep under the pile of scraps.
I have used up all the smaller scraps that I had from previous black and white quilts and am now cutting into some new fabrics that I purchased with the purpose of a black/white quilt for this recipient.  Looks like several more piecing sessions in my future.  Unfortunately, the old Viking is acting up and likes to randomly snap thread, no matter how I adjust the tension.  That reduces my enthusiasm for the project, but the Singer is set up for FMQ, which is a nice break from piecing.

Sunday, January 18, 2015

WIP 19

I am finally finished with this WIP.
It was my first try with rectangular string blocks. If I was to do it again, I would use a narrower neutral block, more thin strips, and neutral corners on each block to keep the zigzag pointy.
I am very happy with the binding. I used up some bits if bias binding from previous projects. It includes purple, fuchsia batik, yellow, and a very cool paisley.
The quilting is staight stitching with a walking foot. Random widths inspired by the strips on the front. White bobbin with matching top thread.

I wisely washed this with 2 color catchers that turned dark blue-violet. Think I will wash it again both because of the colors and the bias binding rippled some when I machine stitching.

But for now, back to football and applique.