Monday, March 30, 2015
Saturday, March 28, 2015
I am almost done removing the offensive stitching.
I was planning a "finished" post.... but I stopped for a quesadilla. And a glass (or 2 )of wine.
And now I'm stalling.
So I want to publicly thank Catherine who aptly described this as "soul destroying work". Sarah Liz, I did indeed need a sympathy card. "I'm sorry for your loss" would be appropriate. As Barb noted, I Really, Really, Really hated how it was looking. And yes Amy, I've been watching lots of Netflix.
Speaking of Amy, The fill I'm planning on is the serpentine stitch with a walking foot that I used for the quilt that she won. (see below).
And speaking of awesome long term followers, Julie Fukuda, did you know you are currently a "no reply blogger"?
Monday, March 23, 2015
I have been ripping stitches out for the past 4 hours.
I have never been so unhappy quilting ever.
I have never before considered taking the stitching out.
Sunday, March 15, 2015
(This winged Warrior just looks like a Harry Potter Golden Snitch to me.)
I am still mystified about how I ended up with a parallelogram with one seemingly straight edge and one stair-stepped. But I decided to just bind it that way as though it was an intentional part of the design.
My favorite supportive comment on the crisis was from Archie the Wonder Dog who noted "Very odd! Still, people aren't rectangular so why should quilts be?!"
Sadly, washing it a second time in hot water did not shrink up as much of the slack as I had hoped. And it faded out one of the very cheap green fabrics that I unwittingly used abundantly throughout the quilt.
So, it's off to my friend Carol. Perhaps a metaphor for your new diplomatic mission?
Monday, March 9, 2015
After spending a couple hours this morning trying to get a tire tread pattern I like, I gave up and decided to simplify the background fill. Using Matrix for the center background, and some straight-ish lines for the outer border.
Sunday, March 1, 2015
The edge that I have been considering the "straight" and "plumb" edge, is actually 7 inches different from one end to the other if the far (near in photo) end is considered "flush".
Apparently, each time I added a row, the variability in the quilting and loft, splayed out the lower edge. There is about a 4 inch bow along what is the "top edge" in this photo.
This side can't actually be cut off as that edge is actually relatively square to the "upper" edge (minus the bow)
This means that the other edge is about 2 inches off on each connecting row.
So it's still a rectangle, though technically a parallelogram.
I am horrified as this was intended to be a gift. For my friend Carol. Whom I consider very Type A. However, she has a weak spot for art. After a couple of text message reassurances that she still wants the quilt, I finished the last connecting binding.
It is currently going through the wash/dry process in hopes that the magic of Quilting Shrinkage solves everything.Or at least something.
Up close and with contrasting thread, you can see how often my outlining dipped into the applique. I originally blamed the beer, but that happened in the sober light of day, so it's an experience issue. This thread is also leaving periodic slubs on the back. I think the problem is with the thread. It's Clarks & Coats "Machine Quilting & Crafts" 30 wt cotton. Sewing with a brand new Schmetz Microtex (Sharp) 70/10 needle. I didn't have this trouble the last time I used this thread. Even in the straight sections using the walking foot it happens. This is cotton batting, and last time I think it was a bamboo blend, so maybe that matters. But I am choosing to ignore this. I will call it "texture" and keep plugging away.