Sunday, March 1, 2015

Horrified

I thought I would be posting a "finished" post on this quilt today.  But when I joined the final sections in preparation for the final row of hand stitching, I was completely horrified.  I had noticed a slight difference from one row to the next, but had written that off to math error and figured I would just trim off the excess.  I laid it out on the floor this afternoon and realized how bad it really is. (consider the flooring grain for comparison)



The edge that I have been considering the "straight" and "plumb" edge, is actually 7 inches different from one end to the other if the far (near in photo) end is considered "flush".

Apparently, each time I added a row, the variability in the quilting and loft, splayed out the lower edge.  There is about a 4 inch bow along what is the "top edge" in this photo.

This side can't actually be cut off as that edge is actually relatively square to the "upper" edge (minus the bow)



This means that the other edge is about 2 inches off on each connecting row.

So it's still a rectangle, though technically a parallelogram.

I am horrified as this was intended to be a gift.  For my friend Carol.  Whom I consider very Type A.  However, she has a weak spot for art.  After a couple of text message reassurances that she still wants the quilt, I finished the last connecting binding.

It is currently going through the wash/dry process in hopes that the magic of Quilting Shrinkage solves everything.Or at least something.

4 comments:

Lynette said...

Wait - that is wild. They were all the same length to start with? Like before quilting you mean? Or after quilting, but before joining? Weird things happen out of nowhere, it seems, with fabric, don't they??

Archie The Wonder Dog said...

Would blocking it help?

Julie Fukuda said...

I have found fabric to be quite forgiving. I hope it will be for you too.

susan said...

Nice to know I am not the only one this stuff happens to! When I complained about a similar mishap to a VERY experienced quilter, her response was it will quilt out. And it did!