Monday, January 23, 2017

Teal Cat progress

Like many of my UFO's, this one was shelved due to unplanned difficulties.  First was the fish, which I tried to match to the orginal mathmatically ended up half again as big as the original. So now they are salmon instead of sardines.  I realized that I had also miscalulated the pale purple background.  By about 3 yards.

I recently found a lavendar batik in the stash that I bought since the original purchase that coordinates nicely.  But even it was a bit short.

I tore 6" off the right side and spliced this piece to finish out the background.
The original plan involved sewing all the fish first then adding the cat.  But in the end, to get things to work out I will need to juggle a 100" x 80" for applique.   Fortunately, it's fast / non-fussy stitching so it shouldn't be too bad.  

This design was from Jenn Ski's Mid-centry Modern Animals coloring book.  Go check out her blog!!!

Sunday, January 15, 2017

Flashback: Columbine

As I was traveling through Utah, I had this quilt returned to me.  I don't think that I ever posted it here on the blog.   It was designed to be 4 different views of the Columbine flower done as reverse applique.  It was designed to be part of a class series that I was to teach in West Yellowstone in 2010.  For some reason, I couldn't make it to the retreat so I didn't teach the class.  I had also made some of these patterns in yellow and red.  Not sure what ever happened to those versions.  The patterns were printed and kits at least considered.  My friend Anna designs quilts for a shop in West, but the owner was never convinced that this pattern would sell, so she returned the quilt to me this weekend.
I still like it. 

Tuesday, January 3, 2017

Midcentury Bigass Teal Cat

Big Ass Cat #2 body.  Years delayed due to a design glitch I just recently worked out.
A face that not only a mom could love.  Mid-century Modern cat with an alien vibe.

Monday, January 2, 2017

Mosaic Finished

My test mosaic piece finished at 15" x 19".  I'm really glad I talked myself into a test drive.  This would be a horrible, miserable thing the way I had imagined it.  The iron on fuseable did not stay stuck down once the piece was being handled for quilting.  Not all the pieces mind you, just every 12 pieces popped off.  And the ones for which I no longer had a scrap of that fabric to replace it. 

So I can cross that mental image off my to-do list and refocus on the dozens of UFOs I already have.