Wednesday, January 15, 2020

Doggo 2


My first finish of the year: another heavy duty car blanket for a big dog.  This project started as the backing of Doggo 1, but I discovered that I only had enough to cover 2/3 of the back. 



The Stash provided about 10 yards of a heavy duty denim that helped fill the gaps as well as serve as a backing. This was sewn around the outside (right sides together) then flipped right side out and top-stiched 1/2" from the edge.  I added about 6 rows of stitching to  secure the front and back (about every 6-8").
 In addition to the leftover strips from old jeans, there are 2 upcycled wool jackets.  I bought these at a second hand store for a different project for $1 each.  At first I aimed to cut straight strips avoiding seams to get normal strips.  I learned on a previous upcycle project that I quite like some of the original details left in.  So often I'd sew down plackets or pocket flaps and include them.

While this is no masterpiece, it is a heavy-duty functional item as well as a dandy stash-burner for some other well intentioned old projects.

No comments: