Monday, January 3, 2022

It's Fine

 

I am finally quilting the Benjamin Biggs Quilt.   It has not been without it's challenges.   The plan is FMQ around the applique in white thread to secure the design, then add hand stitching.  My FMQ is not as precise as I'd sometimes like, but considering I'm doing it on a $100 Singer, it's fine. 



My least favorite process which involves crawling around on the living room floor sandwiching and pinning layers.  Cat Management failed to warn me that the batting I had on hand was 5 inches short on one side.  Replacement batting purchased.  Also had an issue with the tape I had available to hold the backing in place.  Long story short, found some wrinkles on the back side. 


This quilt is for me, not for judges.  So I decided the wrinkles were fine.  And will be less noticeable after washing when everything scrunches up with shrinkage. 
I made a template a year ago for a Sashiko inspired center.  Meanwhile I forgot the planned geometry and my first one has some sections that are off size.  If I hadn't told you, you wouldn't have noticed.   It's Fine. 


The first time I went bold and used a highly contrasting thread, I was able to produce tiny stitches (8 per side) because I used a silk batting and a plain cotton backing. 



Due to the combination of cotton batting and 2 layers of white on white fabric these stitches are 6 to a side.   It's Fine. 

Sometimes I get distracted by my marking lines and it helps to look at the back.  These are the organic flowers that I FMQ on the joining corners of the blocks.  

In the end, it's all going to be just fine.






No comments: