Monday, November 21, 2011

Piecing Guess Challenge

Yes, it's true.  I hate piecing.  But sometimes an idea comes up that requires it.  A lot of it actually.  I've had this idea rattling around in my brain for a couple months, but tonight decided to dig through the fabric stash to see what I have that will work.  The criteria:
1) Must have a strong contrast that "reads" as black & white.  (Dark blue/green & white-on-white)

2) Must be fabrics that I like enough that I don't lose interest before the 1089 pieces are combined. (Batiks collected over the past 2 years with the criteria that it goes with my stash.
3) Have nearly 5 yards in mixed colors that go together and read as a single color. (Don't EVEN ask.)
4) Fabrics are not my most favorite fabrics in the universe so if it's an utter failure I would have cry myself to sleep for months.  (The muddy step-batiks that I liked enough to buy, but went.."hmmm"  when they started to hang out with the others in the stash.)

Since this is Thanksgiving week and I'm taking some time off, my goal is to get this pieced by Saturday and find a friend with a specific type of technology to see if "it works" (the silly visual trick I'm going for).  There are probably dozens of people who have already thought of this and posted about it, but I'm feeling delightfully clever.  So clever, in fact, that I will award a prize...a gift certificate to my local quilt shop who ships internationally, to a contestant who guesses what it is that I am going to make.  One entry per guess, with extra credit (guesses) for being right, or ridiculously wrong - but making me snort coffee out my nose when I read your entry.   Contest ends whenever I get this thing done (could be tomorrow...could be next month).

What is it?

7 comments:

Bailey said...

The first thing that comes tomnd is one of those pixelated images...Marilyn Monroe? If that isn't what you had planned, it should be next!

Victoria said...

Looks alphabetish to me. But that may be function of 10:59 PM.

Lynne said...

One of those code things for mobile phones. Not being up with technology, I don't know what they're called but I know what I mean! They're rectangles made up of black and white patches. Ah, maybe "mobile template"? If you press settings on Blogger then the "email and mobile tab", you'll see one!

Celeste said...

Crossword puzzle, which you construct while you think cross words about all of the fabrics you don't really love here.

Raewyn said...

Well this 'puzzle' is beyond me - I had no idea until I looked at the comments and saw the great ideas others had - I will wait and watch with interest!

Archie The Wonder Dog said...

I have no idea whatsoever but inspiration strikes I'll be back to let you know!

Amy said...

Hmm, I'm thinking that you are seeking a friend with EQ 7 technology to help you create a quilt of The Motorcycle for your Man for his Christmas present.