In the big scheme of things, these stitches are all small. I was frustrated that I had snapped a small needle so I changed needles for the 3 magenta lines on the right, I used a Roxanne 11 which feels like every other brand 10 to me. I found the tip to be relatively dull and took a lot of pressure to push it through. Please note that there's variation in stitch length on all 3 lines. I am stitching through a batik applique on the front, silk batting and an Ikea cotton sheet on the back (the side of this photo)
In contrast, the 2 lines of stitching on the left are using the same Aurifil thread, but a Piecemakers #12 needle. Not only are they more consistent in size, but the stitch count dropped from 14 to 16 stitches per inch. (In sections without the applique, stiches with the 12 needles vary 16-18/inch)
I know it seems a bit OCD...but even stitches are worth a change in needle for me.