Wednesday, July 17, 2013
Strangely, I abandoned my favorite method of applique for the center in favor of a foundation pieced star thinking that it would, in the long run, be simpler and faster. As part 2 came out, my approach was to fall back on fast and easy back basting applique. I had considered piecing, but once I saw the smaller scale of this piece, that seemed like it would add a lot of seams and make the whole thing seem much heavier than necessary. Not to mention increase the odds of lots and lots of unmatched points.
Last night I started the zig border using my usual technique. Though not bad, I came to realize a couple things. 1) I NEVER applique things with straight edges. I guess I never saw an advantage of using a technique that is so splendid for something curved somewhere where a 3 second pieced seam would do. 2) Starting with a straight piece of fabric would probably increase the odds of having a straight edged applique. Seems obvious, but it took several pieces for me to make this discovery on my own.
Tonight I made several slices of my zig-zag border fabric 1" wide, from the 2.5" wide strips I'd been using last night. Maybe I'll get lucky and my parallellagrams will actually have parallel edges. A girl can dream.