Sunday, March 19, 2017

Big Ass Teal Cat Finish

 The Jenn Ski design cat is done.  There were some challenges with  different densities of quilting as well as doing all the quilting on my domestic machine rather than a long-arm.  This is the final blocking after the binding and second washing.  It is 100" x 75"



I tried to carry on the mid century vibe in the quilting.
I was not so happy with the outcome with variegated thread.  Which happens every time I use it.  It wasn't SOOO bad, but after this section, I used it only on the bobbin.
A little context on size.  (And yes, I think my cat looks a wee bit stoned)
The texture turned out well, but still variable enough from keeping things from laying completely flat.

Because I am counting on shrinkage as part of the texture, I do not pre-wash my fabrics.  Which means that I am a huge fan of Color Catchers.   The ones on the right were from the first wash.  I was expecting a lot of color as I'd used the brown, purple and pink markers for the quilting.   I trimmed up the quilt after the first wash before binding.  I was rather surprised at how much blue came out in the second washing.  The only added fabric was about a yard of batik for binding.

And for those who don't know... Here's my Big Ass Cat 1 based on the Charley Harper design


3 comments:

Amy said...

A fabulous feline! The quilting is an adventure in texture - it would be fun to run your hand over all the sections, and "pet the cat." Love the fish scales. Round of applause!

Barb Neiwert said...

That's a huge kitty quilt! I'll bet you're very glad to have it finished. Interesting about the color catchers. I love your new cat design - awesome!

Raewyn said...

Wow - gorgeous finish!! Love all the variety in the quilting - well worth the effort! I'm not a huge fan of variegated thread either; sometimes it seems like it will work...but doesn't!