And then I started laying out the design, and realized something wasn't quite right. Seems that when I walked away from the project at one baby break, I didn't realize I'd omitted an entire series of blue strips. At this point it was too late to fix it, so I have a different pattern.
The bias blocks were every bit the horror I had imagined. As careful as I was, the points are frequently off, and my error make for sections with 8 points that are of course, difficult to sew through. I altered the outer section to accomodate the left over bits, and added 2 blue borders I hoped would stabilize the edges.
Despite my heroic efforts to keep things even, there are still going to be a couple darts one one edge to make this relatively flat.
I decided to use some of this pink print that I bought on sale for the backing in case all that fuchia batik decides to bleed.
I spliced some batting remnants for a "free" batting.
And did some marking an pinning at the same time.
I'll be starting with some walking foot, close parallel lines on the blue sections, then will wait for inspiration on the pink