Tuesday, March 27, 2018

Finish 3

 Last fall, my friend Katy asked me for an idea for using some Jelly Rolls.  I had been collecting ideas, but not actually done any.  I started this design.  Tutorial Here. So I finally got around to finishing what I had cut out, then added a 5" dark green border to anchor it.  
 I stitched in the ditch on the white.  Then decided it needed more interest so I added 2 more lines of stitching also in the white.
 I haven't done a self binding for a really long time.  And now I'm wondering why.  It went quickly and the finish was so much better than 95% of the machine stitched bindings I have done.
 I did the binding first, thinking it would be easier to get straight.  Then I went back and filled in the outer border with feathers.  I learned that I do best by sewing one side of the feathers at a time rather than trying to alternate right and left.
Washed and dried before I went to bed and officially finished!

3 comments:

Raewyn said...

Great idea for a jelly roll - it's very effective. I like how you've quilted it too :-)

Amy said...

I like this one a lot. It's one giant Greek Key in Spring green. Your feathers are lovely. A great finish for this time of year.

Angie in SoCal said...

What a wonderful quilt. I was taught to do feathers as you do - one side at a time.