Saturday, March 24, 2018

Finish Time

I am finally, and completely an empty nester!  I have spent the past month reclaiming and reorganzing space so both the hubby and I have hobby space as well as a genuine guest bed.  Unfortunately, I realized that I don't have space to put away all my quilting and sewing stuff, so I am back on a finish streak.
One of the UFO bins was for a sea shell applique quilt that I had designed and started over a decade ago.  The original design had 30 shells in 8 different shapes and sizes.
The bin included 3 dozen very textural fabrics like these. 
Plus a couple of sea shell identification books.
 
While I still love this idea, I'm a mountain, not a beach girl. 
So the 3 finished and one nearly done block became a pillow case.
Most of it is machine quilted, but I had to hand quilt the shell backgrounds to get the texture I wanted.

Zebra Auger

 Cowrie

 Leopard Scallop

Textile Cone

And this bin is ready to transition from "Seashell UFO" to an expandable applique library.

2 comments:

Angie in SoCal said...

Very nicely and lovely pillowcase. Great finish!

Amy said...

The shells are gorgeous, and I agree with Angie: they make a great pillow case. I've been thinking about downsizing too, so all the supplies will fit, so there are pillow cases in my future too.