Thursday, September 20, 2018

Summer Quilting

Since my last post, I spent nearly the whole month of July on my motorcycle.  We rode over 5000 miles, in 6 states, 3 different trips. The result being no quilting, but excellent additions to the fabric stash.  The quilt shop in Halfway, OR was closing and everything was 50% off.  Since it was cold that weekend, I was wearing everything I took on the trip so the saddlebags were empty.  Interesting fact:  You can fit 80 yards of fabric on a Victory Cross Country.

I did spend some time doing some FMQ to make this logo pig pillow for a fund raiser. 

Which inspired me to donate a custom pillow as another prize.  The winner wanted something beach theme in "neutrals" and teal.  Specifically her house is decorated in tan, grey and teal.  I had imagined a pair of simple pillows with a coral colored crab on one and a starfish on the other. But once I started designing, things got out of hand. 
 I fell in love with pictures of a Maryland Blue Crab and knew I had to make one. 
 And compared to the crab, a lone starfish seemed lame.  So I added some friends. 
 I had plenty of teal in the stash for the backs. 
 The crab was hand quilted for this lovely scrunchiness.
 The shells were machine quilted
 This is as "neutral" as I have the ability to make. 
My husband drilled holes in some shells from my collection which became the buttons on the back. 
It was a blast to do something totally out of my normal topic and color scheme. 

Next on the agenda: Tidying up the sewing room.  Organizing all the batiks I acquired over the summer.  Some Hawaiian Shirts I've collected fabric for over the past couple years. UFOs, including the bookcase quilt.


2 comments:

Frog Quilter said...

Beautiful pillows and the quilting is wonderful.

Amy said...

Wow, if I were at the fundraiser, you bet I'd bid on a custom pillow made by you! These are gorgeous and perfect for a beach themed house. And thanks for the saddlebag yardage info. I'll pass that along to my biking friends.