Wednesday, July 29, 2020

Day of the Dead Quilt

 I've been so good about working on finishing projects, that I decided to reward myself by starting something new.  It's going to be in the style of Dia de Muertos.  It is for my friend Boomer who survived a "widow maker" heart attack, collapsing as he walked into the Emergency Department. The full sized skeleton will be wearing the shirt they cut off him at the ED.

The quilt will be full of symbolism related to his life and hobbies.  The gear eyes are for his lifetime as a mechanic.  The white mouth surround and red nose are for his years as a professional clown.  The winged warrior is the symbol of his motorcycle club.  The teeth and warrior details are shown here on a plastic overlay and will be quilted in. 
My friend's roomate Frank posed for this picture so I could figure out how to add a hat tip (a feature of his professional clown portrait. 

I hope to make some progress on the spine & rib designs today.  My first draft was out of proportion since I tried to do it mathematically from an image and still match the size of the shirt.

No comments: