Thursday, November 18, 2010

Framed Scraps

Here's where I am on the project to use up Nadine's scraps.
I "matted" the various sized pieces in red, sage green, light blue and yellow.  Now I'm adding a black frame around each.  I've been imagining this like a photo wall where the matching frames are what pull together all the pictures.

The color mat squares are of various sizes of 6-7".  I have 2 options now.  1) use the same width black frame on every square so the finished size range is 11-14" OR 2) add frames that would result in a finished block size of 12ish inches for all the blocks.

My other decision is on how to combine the blocks.  I had originally imagined red sashing.  Now I'm thinking that might compete with the mats.  White seems too stark.  Grey seems muddy compared to the primary colors.  A black print would lose the frame detail.  Maybe a brighter blue, in a print.  But of course, I don't have any of that in the stash.    Hmmm.  More ponderation.

1 comment:

Retrogirl said...

Majorie,
Love your blocks! I'm sure you'll think of the next step soon. Both frame options are great ones, I don't think you can go wrong. I don't usually worry about finished size of the blocks unless it's for critique.
LOVE the blue idea...can't wait to see what you come up with.
Happy Stitching,
Heather