Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Ojibwe Beadwork Inspired Applique





While I have temporary custody of my camera, I thought I'd share some close-ups of  the Ojibwe UFO turned WIP.  The first 5 pics are sections of the 4 side panels that will frame the center motif.

You can click here to see some examples of Ojibwe bead work.  As you can see, I fell in love with the stylized leaves and flowers.  The traditional beading has blue in it and is on a white background.  I changed the color scheme to match the original recipient's decorating colors.

The individual elements of my design were pulled from beadwork & coloring/clip art books as well as photos that I had taken at the National Museum of the American Indian.  
Over the weekend, I worked on this flower and set of leaves.  The vine on the top left of this photo will have the same shaped/colored  leaves as the bottom left.  I also finished the center motif below.


 The flower above is on the end of these vines that twist out of those crazy paisleys.

I'm really glad that I had finished as much as I had initially, as now I'm not so sure about the fabrics and color choice.  The dark red in this picture is actually burgundy, which looks great at a distance, but I'm not so sure I like it close-up.  And I've become quite a fabric snob since I bought some of these fabrics.  Hopefully the "cheap" fabrics will hold up.

2 comments:

Karen said...

Just beautiful!

Diane J. Evans said...

Your applique work is simply beautiful! Such accuracy -- and the colors speak to me. Lovely!

Diane