Friday, February 25, 2011
I was so excited about getting this finished! And I was surfing the net for tricks on calculating yardage for bias bindings. I found a great one: Inches needed x width of the strip. Take the square root of that answer and add 2". That gives you the size of square to start with for making the bias.
Lesson#1: Do not do math when not feeling well and/or have multiple distractions. Food Poisoning. House Guest. Girls Friends Hanging Out Here.
Lesson #2: Do not try to combine multiple sets of directions for cutting continuous bias binding. Particularly in light of Lesson #1. Sure, it seems obvious now that it takes 4 -15" squares to equal 1 -30" square.
Lesson #3: If the strip seems wider than it needs to be, it probably is. I was so obsessed with getting the right length that I allowed 2.5" to get stuck in my head, when I know that I always cut 1.5-1.75 for a 1/4" binding.
So...the binding making process took twice as long as it should have. My binding has more seams in it than necessary. I only had to resew the seam that makes the continuous binding tube twice to get the cutting lines right. I tried sewing the binding so there was 1/4" showing on the front and 1/2" on the back, but that made the edge cup. I pull out out 20" of hand-stitching and tucked under the extra 1/4".
With any luck, before the day is out I'll be to the next nail-biter step. Time to wash it. I am terrified that the batik is going to bleed all over the white since they weren't pre-washed. My plan is a cold water wash with Color Catchers to see how it goes. It's pretty grubby-dirty from being dragged around for 16 months. And there's a few splashes of coffee...and some faint shadowing from where I had to use Wine Away after the Great Shiraz Debacle. I'm hoping that all that will come out (even if I have to wash it twice) and that the hot drier will both set the color and give me that 3% shrinkage of the cotton batting that I've been counting on for great texture. Next post will either be victory pictures or lots of tears.