While cruising Quilt Market, we found ourselves at many thread vendors and saying "We teach mostly hand applique and hand quilting classes. What do you have that we should know about." As a result we scored some great thread samples.
The thread in front is my standard applique thread: YLI Silk in a 100 weight. The middle 3 are the new ones (left-to-right): Clover silk #50, InvisiFil Poly #100, YLI Soft Touch cotton#60. Back row is the stash which includes an Aurifil #50 cotton and a Metzler #50 cotton. I used all the threads right off the spool with no wax or silicon conditioner.
Not surprisingly, both the YLI Silk and InvisiFil resulted in nearly invisible stitches. I need to try again as I work on the next block since I was stitching the light green stems to which the InvisiFil thread was a much better color match than the YLI Silk.
Anna did a similar experiment while stitching down her Mimbres Fish Applique. She makes her stitches closer together than I do, and pulls her thread tighter with each stitch. She felt that the YLI Soft Touch wasn't as "slippery" as the YLI silk so the needle was less likely to unthread itself while stitching. When the silk was waxed, it eliminated that problem.
I wasn't impressed with Clover's silk for applique, but I am looking forward to using it for quilting. Which gave me an idea for making an entirely silk quilt from some old silk blouses and some fabric that I bought for a blouse and never made. Besides, quilt fabric now costs as much as silk...might as well explore some new options. Hmmm...that's WIW (Waiting in the Wings) project #11.