Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Wednesday WIP

I'm still working on Shop Hop Blocks.  Unfortunately, the only "theme" of the blocks was batik, so the colors of each shop's block varied widely and I've been making swaps from my stash.

This Stained Glass block was from LaDonna's in Baker City.  I substituted the blue for an orange, but otherwise used the fabrics in the kit.  I used to really like foundation piecing, but did not enjoy making this one.  I think it would have been easier to traditionally piece.

The other block I finished was Prarie Queen from Knit One-Quilt Too in Kuna.  I used their purple, but swapped out the pastel purple in the kit for the lime.
I probably should have used black instead since this is the only block so far w/o black.  Hmm...I'll have to do one of the remaining ones w/o black so it isn't lonely.
That brings me up to 12 blocks with 3 yet to go.  I may need to make up one of my own so I have 4 rows of 4.  This was the first time I've ever done the full shop hop and only time I've bought block kits.  It will probably also be the last time I ever buy block kits.  Oh well, at least $14 of my spending will go to Project Linus.

And yesterday I got a call from my LQS saying I had won something from the drawing from people who had visited all 14 shops.  I was really hoping for the grand prize of $55 gift certificates from each shop...but I got a pattern, some charms and 6 fat quarters in jewel tones.  Cool.   Just what I need...more things to add to my WIP pile.

WIPs on Wednesdays

4 comments:

Bailey said...

Your shop hop blocks are lovely now that they coordinate a bit more (what a concept!). I also got a call about winning a prize - I was excited because I didn't even know they were doing prizes in addition to the grand and first prize. I'll be blogging about mine (hopefully) soon!

Marj said...

Glad that you won a prize, to bad it was not some jewel tone batiks. That would have helped with the blocks you are making. I know the Lady that runs the classroom at Knit One Quilt too. Have you ever been to one of her retreats?

KatieQ said...

The blocks look great together. Obviously your substitutions were great choices. Congratulations on winning a prize.

Esther Aliu said...

I’m finally able to comment again. Sorry for the delay. These blocks look great - they are so striking.