Friday, February 22, 2013

Sun & Stars

Today I had intended to work on my taxes.

Instead, I actively procrastinated by finishing the yellow scrap quilt.
Overall, I'm quite happy with how it turned out.  The flimsy measures 73" x 90.  I used up all of the grey, most of the yellows and some odd black & whites.  Fortunately, I still have lots of "good" black and whites for another quilt.

I thought I was going to be all done by about 10am.

I was so happy as I finished the 16" wide misc strip....until I discovered that the strip that I had used to determine the length was 18" too short.

Which is quite a conundrum as I no longer had an assortment of yellow strips to frame a black square.  And I really don't have any other blacks that would have made interesting centers.  Oh, and there was only a tiny pile of oddly shaped grey pieces.

My solution ended up being two 8.5" squares made up of every scrap I had left.  It includes some strangely curved pieces left over from a double wedding ring.  And there's A LOT of spray starch forcing them into anything even remotely flat.

Fortunately, I still had a selection of black & whites to lengthen the 16" wide strip...but there was some seam ripping involved to make it all look intentional.


A closer look at these fabrics brings back memories of the original quilts.

The HST that make up the sawtooth border and the pinwheels are leftover from a miscalculation on the pillow cases that I made for my sister-in-law Di

Which I made to go with this Sunshine quilt which I gave her as a surprise when she married my brother.

The section of 2" squares were left over from the OooRah! Quilt.

I had tried to clear out the gold fabric from my stash a couple years ago by putting together a quilt-as-you-go Autumn quilt.  That quilt started as a crazy patch, then evolved into strips.

That project is still in progress as a practice piece for  FMQ.

What was left from laying out the project above, turned into strips for this baby quilt to try a different quilt-as-you-go project.

I think there are lots of the leftover strips in the piano key strips on the right of the new quilt as well as the framing of the black squares.

There are also a few bits of fabric that were left over from this quilt group project where I turned someone else's  leftovers into this donation quilt.


Now all that I have left is a small stack of yellow crumbs that I can see using as applique flower centers, a few dozen strips to go into my "strings" box, and I got brave and allowed myself to throw a hand full of not-very-pretty bits in the trash.

Time for some hand quilting while I contemplate how to quilt this flimsy.

6 comments:

Archie the wonder dog said...

It's marvellous!!

Salley said...

Fabulous! Good karma to destash in such a creative way! This flimsie is sensational.

Julie Fukuda said...

I love all those yellows and blacks together. I wish those scraps had been in my stash pile!

Amy said...

Awesome, Awesome, Awesome!!!

Raewyn said...

It's brilliant how you have pieced and joined everything - I am doubly impressed by the grey/pieced block!! It's a stunning quilt!

beaquilter said...

awesome work, love your fmq flower!!