Sunday, May 5, 2013

Lace Re-Do

 I inherited a wonderful lace dress in March from mom, whom had hit a closet cleaning binge.   The good news is that it was exactly my size. Mom denies that I could possibly ever fit what she did as she always considered herself a "full size" gal.  Ironically, a 1948 size 18-20 is a 2012 size 10-12.

 The bad news is that I have no occasion in my world to wear a lace dress.   And there was some fading where the blue lace and lining had become purple.

(I like purple.  It's just not uniformly purple)

The over jacket makes it even more formal don't you think?


Meanwhile back at the Sewing Challenge, someone suggested taking a picture of a ready to wear garment, then making your own version of it.

PSHTT.  Dude.  I don't shop.  I would rather compete in a spelling bee than shop for clothing.  I will volunteer for a 3rd grade field trip with children I do not know, long before I will go to the mall.



But much to my dismay, I had to to pick up my older daughter from work at JCP.  I decided to use my extra time to try on swim suits.  ( Another story for another day).  But then I saw THIS DRESS!!!

**Insert background music with angels singing **
LLLLLLaaaaaa!!!!!!

It is a great design with a lined front and unlined back. ...which would be lovely if I were 18, weighed 100 # and had perky boobs.

But I LOVE this dress!
 I spent most of a day cutting the lining out of the vintage lace dress.  I spent most of that time thinking that I was an idiot and that my mom was going to kick my ass if she ever found out.

(Betty Jeanne is a force to be reckoned with. My fear is not misplaced.)

I trimmed to 1/2" of all the linings, then serged the edges and top stitched.


Remember those 9 bins of sewing stuff?

It included a 100% cotton fitted knit sheet that I bought at a thrift store thinking that it might be handy as "muslin".

Lime Green.  My neutral.

 I took that stupid  t-shirt pattern I've been trying to master, but cut much deeper and narrower sections for the "tank" to match the pattern pieces.

I made a wicked dangerous, not appropriate decision  regarding the bindings.  I did a cross width strip, 1.75" wide.  My goal was 3/8" finish binding.

I basted it at 1/8", connected it at the same width.  Serged it at 3/8"
I probably could have done a better photograph, but this one captures how happy I am with the binding outcome.

For both the neckline and arm holes I ignored popular recommendations and made the binding 20% smaller than the actual distance (as compared to the 0-15% recommendations).

After 2 posts whining about necklines, I seem to have the answer. My girls look happy. (Well, at least covered and secured.)

My idea was to have a knit "slip" to fit under several dresses that I have, or plan to make.

I also have a 50's flared skirt black lace dress that may work with the same lime tank dress if I am clever.

How fun will this be with both lime and hot pink under slips?  (And maybe teal, plum, black, ect.)

I have yet to decide on a stright hem vs scalloped lace edge.   But at least I am minutes from
 a wearable dress.



7 comments:

BeaJay said...

That dress is looking lovely and will look great with different colours underneath as you have suggested.

SarahLizSewStyle said...

I agree with BeaJay, and also makinmg a black lace dress to wear with your underlays. Vanity sizing is what they call the downsized sizes - I'm about a U.S. size 4- 6 now, but I used to be a 12! I haven't changed much though.

Archie the wonder dog said...

The dress looks wonderful with the lime slip underneath - what a great idea!

Nanna said...

a great transformation of the dress!
Helen

Darci Paulk-Hayes said...

I liked that you kept the tank dress as a separate piece and didn't sew it together. I even like the tank as an easy dress on it's own!

GodsgirlT said...

Now this is how you do it....well done!

Judith said...

Fantastic 'thinking-outside-the-box' sewing! You mum will be extremely pleased with your finished dress/es. Love the pop of lime underneath ...