Monday, February 3, 2014

WIP 19

I am now 1/2 finished with string quilt concept I started a long time ago.
I am learning many things:
Back in May, I thought it would be a clever idea to use up junk mail as a foundation piecing up-cycle.

I discovered then that you have to be careful to not let the iron touch the ink.

I discovered this morning that even though it LOOKS standard 8.5" x 11", it is not always.  I ended up with several yellow blocks 1/2" too small.

I also forgot initially that I had to make left and right versions, unlike a square block.  I did take the time to lay out the pattern on the floor and used a marker to identify both direction and color.

I discovered after I sewed it together, that I would like it better with a narrower white strip.

My original plan had been a rainbow, but realize I don't have much orange fabric and I didn't like the red by the pink.  The other 3 rows will feature purple and pink with the full blue zig zag running down the middle and another partial blue on the outside.

I learned many things I had forgotten about paper foundation piecing.  I will save you the details.  Short version is that I shall remove the paper before stitching the other 3 rows together rather than after it's combined.

4 comments:

Marjorie's Busy Corner said...

great color!!

Nanna said...

loving the colors!
Helen

Sarcastic Quilter said...

Maybe some relearned lessons but it still looks pretty.

Archie the wonder dog said...

It's going to be wonderful! Well, actually...it already is!