Sunday, November 29, 2015

Go Fish

I am in my happy place.  Applique.  Batik.  My favorite colors.  Fun design.


To be honest, math has never been my strong point.  Somehow in enlarging the pattern, the fish ended up a couple inches bigger than they should have been.

Teal Cat is getting salmon instead of sardines.

For anyone who has not yet grasped the scale of this project,  here's the real cat sitting on the project cat's head pattern.

Because of the scale and simple shapes, I'm doing a different technique from usual.  I made a poster-board template of the fish shapes and marked the FRONT side of the fish in pencil.  I cut an approximate 1/4" seam allowance.  But now the pencil line is my fold line and my trimming didn't need to be exact.

I used 3 medium length pins to hold each body shape in place, then added applique pins just to the fish I'm sewing at the time.

This is saving a ton of time.

No basting!!!! The extra pins assure the piece doesn't shift while sewing.

I cranked out 50" worth of stitching in about 30 minutes.


Now back to the football game and more fish.

4 comments:

Amy said...

With the size of the Teal kitty (some Siamese are Teal Points...), those fish look more like koi. Must be very gratifying that this cat is fast. She is fun to watch.

Amy said...

With the size of the Teal kitty (some Siamese are Teal Points...), those fish look more like koi. Must be very gratifying that this cat is fast. She is fun to watch.

Raewyn said...

Looking great - fun fun fun!!

Archie the wonder dog said...

I'm really enjoying watching this project!