Saturday, April 18, 2020

Furlough Day 1 Granny's Brassiere

A  year ago, my friend Barb was going through family heirlooms and posted this amazing piece of fabric art which was part of her great grandmother's wedding ensemble.  I instantly fell in love with the crochet.  And may or may not have drunk offered to reproduce it.

Fast forward to today.  I enlarged this photo and tried to decript the original crochet pattern. 
This was my initial transcription in crochet code.
I was very concerned with the trial round on the top.  Too loose for the lace and too big of scale.  That was 5" with #10 crochet cotton and #10 hook.    I was counting pictures from the photo for the first round.  The second sample is my adjustment.  Reduced each chain by 1 stitch and simplified the pattern.   Still 4" wide.

Called Barb to find out her intent.  She would like a shadow box of a reproduction.  It should include the rest of the bodice since the draw string around the bottom is really significant.  The original is silk.  We are debating if it was always ivory or aged white.

I was happily on my way to progress when I realized I have to admit that the original used much finer crochet cotton.  Which annoys me because it's harder to work with.

This story isn't over.

1 comment:

Angie in SoCal said...

What a challenge you have taken on. My grandmother could do that - look at a sample or photo and reproduced it. Sadly, I can't. Look forward to seeing more of this.