Sunday, January 3, 2021

Biggs Test Final Answer

 The test block is out of the drier.  After much debate about if was worth the effort, I have concluded that I did learn a number of lessons.  
Background fill was a big question.  White vs light green thread.  One inch basic squares. 
I like it better with the extra 1/4" line.  But do I like this version twice as much as it has twice as much stitching?  If I do, it is much better up close in the light green. 

I had planned to do the shashiko in red, but the dark green won over both the red and medium green.  After washing, I realize the inner circle also needs to be dark green, not the machine stitched white to make it a more intentional circle. 
As soon as I finished the center machine quilted flowers, I wished I'd tried it with red thread. I am still undecided on the direction of the background fill. 
In this trial version, the flowers are fused and topstitching done as quilting.  In my final quilt, I will machine quilt around the hand applique flowers then add the mix of machine and hand quilting. 
It passed the Cat scan.  My friend Carol won this with her generous contribution to my local Women & Children's shelter. 

No comments: