Saturday, January 30, 2021

Leaves in the Forest Finish

With all those seams and intersections, this took a lot longer to machine quilt than I anticipated.  
I used the freemotion foot to stitch in the ditch around all the triangles after securing the rows top to bottom with a walking foot.
I added a 4" border around the original design and created these leaves, 
inspired by Johanna Basford coloring book images. 

I repeated the 2 leaf combination on each corner
I
There's a 6 leaf repeat used twice on each side, but not in the same order
Each side has a different set of filler leaves


I serged the edges and washed the quilt in hot water with color catchers and dried on hot before adding the binding.  The ripple in the photos went away after the second washing. 


I forgot to take a picture of the back in the day light.  The stripes were more of the leftovers.  I had planned on a very pieced back, but decided it was going to be too many seams.  That turned out to be a good decision.

The pattern was a  quilt-along from Twiddletales back in August involving 100 paper pieced squares finishing at 6" each.  The colored fabrics and half the background fabrics were from the stash. As were all the fabrics for the back.  Batting is leftover cotton pieced together to get to size. Threads were 2 shades of cream/taupe from Connecting Threads.   The purchases were 2.5 yards of creams for the second background and outside border, as well as the autumn fabric for the binding.  Final quilt about 68" square.  Sewn and quilted on my cheep-o Singer Patchwork.

This one is headed to my friend Carol as a make-up from the Fall Stripes quilt disaster that became Learning Curve.  You can read about that at this link to that post. 

1 comment:

Raewyn said...

I remember seeing this QAL and being very tempted. Great finish - I love the colours and also the quilting in the border - good use of the colouring book designs.