Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Spring Break - Update 4

I'm well on my way to meeting my Spring Break completion goals.

I have finished the 1/2 of the NH Ashley quilt.  Here's what it looks like from the back.  (Oops, I see the flower on the lower right needs some more stitching. )  I'll work more on the other half once my other goals are met.  My green thread solution worked well.

I cut out the fabric and sewed up blocks 4 & 5 of the Pinwheel Party.  You can see all those pics on my Flicker page.  Since the pattern is for a crib-sized quilt, I'm making 2 of each of the 12 blocks, then will have to repeat or make up about 6 more in order to make it Full/Queen size for my nephew David.  It's a block per week quilt-along...and I'm currently caught up.

Next on the completion list was turning the columbine blocks into a quilt top.  Finished up before supper time and ran outside while the sun was shining (between storms) to snap this picture.  Unfortunately, the wind was still blowing which distracted me from the fact that my shadow is covering the right corner.  Oh well.  Hoped to get this done sooner, but lost the strips I'd already cut for the sashing...then found them and discovered some were the wrong size.)  I'm pleased with how fantastic the Hoffman Batik looks.  Couldn't have found a better fabric than those wildflowers!  Plan is to machine quilt this one in random width vertical stripes.  I keep changing my mind on how much detail I want to quilt into the individual blocks.

I have the bindings cut, pressed and ready to apply  for the Double Irish Chain and my daughter's purple quilt.       Was waiting to finish the piecing steps before I changed to the walking foot.   Also prepped the rest of my Josephs Coat blocks, by tracing the design on the back of each of the foundation pieces - ready for basting the last 14 blocks (OK...technically 17 b/c there are 3 from the last set I haven't finished).

Tomorrow's goals:  binding, machine quilting, baste some JC blocks.

No comments: