Friday, March 2, 2012

Feb at a glance

Lily's Quilts
One of the things that I love about Fresh Sewing Day at Lily's Quilts, is that it gives me a chance to reflect on the month of February and realize that I actually did get things accomplished.

My FMQ is getting better with feathers that look kind-of like they are supposed to.  I realized after making this that I don't actually LIKE feathers in quilting, which is probably why mine never look amazing.

My FMQ confidence is growing, and I'm really glad I decided on these practice panels that are designed to be a whole quilt later.  This piece, for example, I think I could have picked a better background fill, but I still love the leaf.  This leaf deserves better than becoming a pot holder!

One of my 2012 goals was to do trapunto, and this practice panel was my first attempt.  I learned a lot about background fill from the leaf panel and I was quite pleased with the outcome.
I finished piecing the silk tie quilt, which removes 2 things from my quilting bucket list  - upcycling and working with silk.  I learned a lot from this project, most importantly that I'm "totally over" the need to quilt with silk and I can move on.

But I am keeping the bonus silk woobie because it feels so soft.

Although I don't really enjoy piecing, working with someone else's yellow scraps for this charity quilt was a lot of fun.  I need to sew with yellow more often.

My only finish for the month was the Quilts of Valor quilt that was a collaborative effort from my quilt group and a chance for me to use another new-to-me technique.

And I am finally nearing the end of the hand quilting for the Double Wedding Ring.  This has taken 96 episodes of Cake Boss, and I've moved on to watching LA Ink.  Unfortunately the tatoos give me ideas for quilting designs so I tend to get distracted.

For March, I plan to continue to practice FMQ, finish the hand quilting, finish the Executive Woobie and $2.25 Plus Tax, finish piecing the Citrus HST top.  I also want to work on something to use up the blue scraps for another QOV quilt, and I need to get back to some applique on my Hearts Desire.

6 comments:

Leanne said...

Your quilting is stunning!

Raewyn said...

For some reason I am behind in ready your posts - and I really enjoyed a catch up read, summarised in this post. Your quilting is really lovely - I do like those leaves in the second photo. You've had a busy month with a great variety of interesting projects. Have a great weekend!

Archie The Wonder Dog said...

Love all your quilting! And congratulations on approaching the end of the DWR quilting!

Highland Monkey's said...

Wow, I'm in awe of your quilts, they are lovely

amy said...

so impressed by your trapunto! and i know what you mean about the handquilting, we'll see if i ever finish my wedding quilt!!

Lynne said...

What great and varied work. I really love that QOV quilt.