Thursday, March 22, 2012

$2.25 Plus Tax Finished.

Please don't faint.  I actually got another project finished.

In case you forgot (or weren't around), this quilt was started in January 2011 as the result of reading blogs about the rising price of cotton fabric and suggestions to upcycle old shirts into quilts.  I paid $1.25 for a queen sized cotton sheet and the 2 plaid shirts were part of an "all you can fit in a bag for $1" deal at another thrift store.   It's a gift for my brother Dan.



By February, I had cut the shirts into blocks and started making HST, with a technique that sounded stupid, and it turns out really was a bad idea. 

The technique of making 4 HST at once sound great until you realize it puts all the edges as bias.

Not a big deal if you are making pinwheels.

But a royal pain in the tush when my vision was a whole quilt that was going to look like this.

I changed my design and got the top pieced last December and even started quilting it.

This morning as I was finishing the straight line stitching using the walking foot, I came to realize why this project was a UFO.  I lose interest when I get to the BORING part of the project.  Utility quilting is flat out boring.

But the pillow case that I made as FMQ practice in January was fun.  You can see more pictures at this post.  My favorite part was that I used the collars on the pillow case opening.

I'm working on the quilting on the Executive Woobie - the silk tie quilt.  It's being stitched to some soft minkee style fleece.  It's going to feel yummy!  Stay tuned for my next finish!

8 comments:

beaquilter said...

what a bargain... isn't it 2.50 though? or was the sheet 1.25?
good job and great job on the quilting
(you have word-robot on)

Archie The Wonder Dog said...

It looks great - your brother is bound to love it!

Janet said...

This is a gorgeous quilt! Imagine that we can sew for so little money - how amazing.

Ann Marie @ 16 Muddy Feet said...

Gorgeous quilt. Your brother is going to love it.

Unknown said...

Love it, what a great bargain (not counting your time in making it)

Jen said...

What a fabulous quilt! It's very manly. Love the HSTs!

Lynne said...

What a great quilt - who would have thought such a great look could be achieved with a sheet and a couple of shirts?

Nana Bluebird aka Kathy Aho said...

Great job! This is exactly the kind of thing our grannies did when money was tight too. They made beautiful from scraps and many of those scraps were from clothing. I own a quilt from 1867 with 9 homespuns in it (from shirts back then) with 13 calicos from dress scraps. Bravo for doing this one!