I used to really hate feathers, but as I improve my technique, I'm learning that it is actually a pretty fast fill that gives some good motion to the final quilt.
I had some transparency sheets (from the era of teaching on overhead projectors). I placed one on the section I had to fill in then played with some placement using a dry erase marker.
I have some trouble with the direction change and it took a couple tries on the inner feathers.
I have this taped above the machine for reference.
I made a template from poster board to mark the spine. I just traced over the transparency with a ball-point pen which gave me a scoring mark on the cardboard to use as a cutting line.
The blue chalk pencil is working well on the red.
It is also helpful to have a reference line to remind me where the inner feathers divide for the upper and lower parts.
I am slowly figuring out that on the home machine, my secret is to keep the feathers relatively small. Otherwise I don't have the room on throat-plate to make a continuous looping motion. The bigger feathers tend to end up more square as I am trying to squeeze the end in or have to re-position my hands.