Tuesday, November 22, 2016

Desert Rose Progress

There's good news and bad news.   The good news is that I had this much finished by late afternoon on Sunday.  This is the center 12 blocks of the quilt.  I tried to pick the blocks with the best points. 

It will cover the top of a Queen bed.  There is another round of 18" blocks around this part to be the drape part of the quilt.

And then there's the bad news.  As I was headed to bed with visions of finishing this quilt on Sunday, it occurred to me that I seemed to be out of the dark green HST pieces that are the star points.  I searched again in the morning than double checked my planning page which confirmed my fears.  It appears that I made half as many as I need to finish the quilt.  

This alone would be annoying, but while I padded my yardage enough for the dark green and the pale background,  I don't have enough of the mid-background to finish the quilt to the edge.  The original plan being to continue the pattern all the way to the edges as in the picture below.  

 The bottom in this pic would be the outer border.
Oh, I just found a square inserted wrong in this picture.  Damn.

After considering a half dozen options, I went with this one.  All of the HST blocks are supposed to be green/mid, but this plan replaces half with green/light. (Not noticeable in these photos and only up close in person) But in the process, I decided to remove the green corner blocks so the outside edges would finish with points.  I've spent a lot of the day ripping out stitches. 

1 comment:

Julie Fukuda said...

I like the points at the edges. Oh yes, fabric walks off without even giving notice. All of us have been there and done that somewhere along the journey.