Monday, April 2, 2018

Nancy's Tutorial

Nancy asked me yesterday how I would transfer the dragonfly pattern for a placemat idea that she had.  My answer was to use template plastic for each of the wing components and then use a fusable web to attach them, finishing with a satin stitch or raw edge stitching.  She had never heard of template plastic.

In the middle of the night I awoke with this idea:

 Print at least 2 copies of the dragonfly on cardstock.  Use an exacto knife to cut out sections of the design.  Save the cut outs to use as patterns as well.
 I pulled out a sampling of black and white prints that reminded me of dragonfly wings.
 Use the cutouts to audition fabrics, either from your stash or at the store.
 Alternatively, you could find one fabric that looks like dragonfly wings, like these 2 batiks.
In that case, I'd cut this out as a wing template and a body template.
But personally, I would do these 2 sections in a contrasting fabric to add more interest.








2 comments:

Angie in SoCal said...

What a great idea! Thanks.

Raewyn said...

Very good idea! Amazing what comes to us in the middle of the night! Your finished cushions all look great - the dragonfly and also the orphan block ones - well done on getting through them all :-)