Monday, April 9, 2018

Finish 6

 Pulled this out of the drier before I went to bed and I am totally chuffed about the texture.  The front is batik.  The back is a Moda cotton and the batting is Nature's Touch Cotton.
 Machine quilted on my Singer with a mix of cotton and poly threads from the stash.
I'm getting pretty good at feathers now.
 The pattern started out as The Three Dudes Quilt.  Video Tutorial here.  However, I was making it on a day I was watching baby.  I got distracted and missed one of the dark blue strips on the stripset.  A mistake I didn't discover until all the blocks were cut.  So it's kind of a 2 1/2 Dudes quilt. 
 Just a warning if you decide to make this quilt, the cutting process gives you a lot of bias edge squares.  I found that even being super careful, my quilt flared on the outer edge.  I ended up taking a couple darts on the outer border to help square things up. Dense quilting on the outer border also helped.   You can see how ripply the edges are in my September post at this link. 
The backing is some Moda pink prints that I bought on sale on line.
And the color catchers really did their job.  I think a lot of the darkness  is from Crayola Washable markers I used to mark the quilt since I used the grey, blue and black markers due to the darker color fabrics.

I am hoping to post another finish soon.  I am only a few hours of hand quilting and a binding away from finishing the Desert Rose quilt.

1 comment:

Angie in SoCal said...

What a save - darts, cutting, color catchers. Good lessons for us here. I like it!