Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Best Laid Plans

I had planned to spend my day off working on the Trapunto project.  I made this prototype over the weekend and blogged about it at Celebrate Hand Quilting.

Ever have those days where nothing goes as planned?  Nothing worthy of real complaints, just annoying.  Like running out of thread and having to go get some during the first rain storm in 5 months.


And I had bought some of these super expensive water soluble pencils to mark the quilt.  When I was using the white on the dark, my complaint was that the lead kept breaking.   I adapted my technique and smoothly copied my pattern onto the white fabric using the blue pencil..

Problem is, that the blue is hard to see while doing FMQ.  And by the time I was done with the machine basting, sections of the markings had completely brushed off.


I eventually got it basted and most of it trimmed.  No telling how it's going to turn out as I will have to re-draw or just guess on the stitching lines.

I also spent a couple hours trying to figure out where I was on my state block quilt...finding the missing fabrics and patterns.  And I carefully prepared 2 blocks to throw in my purse since I knew I'd be waiting for my daughter at 2 appointments.  Got there are realized I'd forgotten to include needles in the kit.  Ack.

Maybe the rest of the week will go better.

3 comments:

jjthor said...

I've had plenty of days like that!! Hope the rest of your week goes better!! Have a nice hot cup of tea as my Grand,other always says it makes everything better!!!

Lynne said...

Ooo, frustrating indeed!

Julie Fukuda said...

I use a Krisma mechanical pencil with white lead. It does break but I like the way it disappears as you quilt over the lines. (the blue and yellow are not good but the white is fine and I can get a thin line without running to the sharpener every other minute.