Sunday, October 28, 2012

Fussy

Continuing to make progress on the State Quilt.  Here's "Windblown Square" for North Dakota.  Lynn picked this up for me while on a road trip.  I fussy cut the words on the fabric for Peace, Family, Laughter, and Joy.

This is a beautiful block, but by using parallelagrams instead of half-square-triangles, it made for a very fussy block with lots of "Y" junctions.

Click here to listen to James Taylor Carolina In my Mind  which was what was going through my mind the whole time I was making this block.   Missy sent me the primary fabric and I filled in with a random fabric for the stem.

I found it to be ironic that one of my favorite songs is related to one of the states that I've been to the least times.  I've never been to Alaska, have been to Hawaii only once, but all other states have been to 3 or more times.  Thinking the South Carolina only hits the "Twice" mark.

Here's my version of Carolina Lilly (which usually has 3 flowers...but remember this is a 6 inch block).

The Maple Leaf block is for Vermont.  This is another of those fabric donations from non-quilters.  My brother's friend ET got pulled into the process and graciously went to a fabric store to help me out.

This is a great example of why I think I totally lost momentum.  Many of the traditional quilt state blocks were "36 Patch".  Ugh.  It's 6 inches square.  There are actually 32 pieces in this square.  Yoiks!

Progress...



2 comments:

Raewyn said...

Marjorie, I have just had a lovely back-read of your State posts - interesting! I've enjoyed seeing the story behind each block - the story of the origin of each fabric and also the story of making them. I know I've said it before, but what a great idea!

Carla A Few Of My Favorite Things said...

I am working on a carolina lily or peony quilt and love listening to James Taylor also. LOL Your applique quilt that you posted on Celebrate Hand Quilting is the bomb!