An interesting thing about traditional blocks is that you can interpret the way to put the blocks together in multiple ways. Unfortunately, I got nearly done with this block and decided it was an absolute disaster.
I'm not one to un-sew blocks.
In fact, this may be the only time I have.
So much better.
"Mayflower" block for Massachusetts.
I decided to use some strip piecing techniques to make tiny HST for my Oklahoma block.
I figured that my 14 stitches per inch running stitch should work fine to keep things held together.
The theory was good.
My 1/4" seam was a bit wide though, so I didn't get the perfect squares I'd planned.
1" finished squares are kind of a pain in the butt.
Eventually I finished the Oklahoma Twister block with fabric sent to me by my niece Hillary who is going to college in Oklahoma City.
No, the points don't match.
Hey, it's a tornato...things aren't symetrical in a storm.
And the 3rd block that turned out to be less glorious than imagined was the Hawaii block with fabric brought by Deb from Maui. Where the white motif hits the applique edge, the design disappears. Which is OK since it didn't turn out anywhere near what I'd imagined.
I tried putting a shadow in red ink. Not sure If I like it any better, but it's what it looks like now.