Monday, June 17, 2013
I made some flying geese using the tutorial at this link. I liked the technique and the math... but mine didn't come out with perfect points.
I decided that since I would be trimming the final block down to size after the applique was done, I didn't do the flying geese all the way down the side...that will give me some wiggle room.
I prepped the block for back basting applique by tracing the reverse version of the picture on the back side of my block with pencil using a "light box" (aka dining room window).
There's a tutorial on this technique on the top right bar on this blog if you aren't familiar with how to do it.
It took some digging around to get fabrics that I'm happy with. The pica fabric was hardest, but did find something suitable (in the sea-shell applique box in case you were wondering.) There's some good variety of purples in the 5" batik friendship square stash. I have a big stack of green batik fat quarters that I bought with a leaf themed quilt in mind. I can probably spare a few of them. Hot pinks are neutrals in my stash, so the hardest part of the pick was how dark or light to go.
I love it when a plan comes together.