Monday, June 3, 2013

Floral Skirt

This is my first completion for both Style the Stash and  Sew Your Wardrobe for a Year


The process for my skirt started with a muslin of Simplicity 2475

I used an old sheet and realized as I was cutting it that it was, in fact, the perfect color for my Chartreuse and Puce Flying Goose quilt.

Queen sized cotton sheet from Savers the day purple tags were 1/2 price making the cost of the sheet $2.50

Only a few adjustments were needed - narrowing at the waist and a bit of adjustment on the back rear seams (where darts would be normally).


I even went so far as to insert a chartreuse kick pleat in the muslin...you know...just in case I liked it enough to become a skirt rather than a pattern.

Turned out that pattern was still the best career choice for this fabric.


I went digging around in the stash and found this fabric.  It was 3 panels of a linen (or linen-like) fabric probably intended for curtains or throw pillows.  I am pretty sure that I bought it at St Vincent DePaul thrift store for around $5.

Let me know if you want the leftovers by leaving a comment. If several of you do, I'll do a random drawing. (US postage only please).


I actually had a great time fussy cutting the flowers to balance the colors and to make sure the stems would all end at the hem.

You can just imagine how clever I feel putting the blue butterfly in the waistband.

There's another floating above my tush.
I am pleased That with clever cutting I was able to include all the flowers in the original border.

The kick pleat has some of the dark green leaves inserted.

Side zipper on the left.  It's pink and metal since that's the only light colored 7" zipper in my stash.
Overall, I'm quite happy with the skirt.  Of course it would have been much easier to fit if I had a flat tummy.  But if I wait for that to happen, I will never have clothes to wear.

The inside is completely lined with what I believe is a cotton sheet.
The lower lining connects with the hem.

The only thing that didn't go as smoothly as I'd planned was the lining and the kick pleats.  It actually turned out exactly like I'd planned.  The problem is that all the layers are bulky.  Maybe if it's really linen, it will all soften up and solve it's own problem.

So, my first project to be completed for both challenges.  Ready to wear it to work tomorrow.
Fashion fabric, lining, zipper, thread and pattern all from the stash.

Next:  a lined knit dress.  Trust me, it's not as crazy as it sounds.

5 comments:

Mrs. Sew and Sew - Karen said...

You are really talented. I would never attempt clothes. I love your skirt!

SarahLizSewStyle said...

Hi Marjorie - that's a really lovely skirt - love the little butterfly placements - and getting all the flowers even at the hem must come from your quilting skills :) Love the matching nail polish.

All natural fibres will be lovely and cool to wear.

Julie Fukuda said...

Once you get on a roll, you don't mess around. Great job!

Beverly said...

I love your skirt! Such cute fabric & you did a great job with placement.

susan said...

i love the skirt it fits you very wel.

greetings Susan